Main Street, Cascade, Idaho, 1940's

Main Street, Cascade, Idaho, 1940's

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Second Blog

This is about his total failure at nearly all sports ever invented, well basically he was bad at every activity and everything involving activness. Once he became a freshman in high school they MADE him play the brutal sport called football. They only had an 8-man team because there were barely any high school guys to play football in Cascade, Idaho. Apparently if you didnt show up at practice they would come find you and drag you outside to practice. "At the beginning of my freshman year in high school i weighed 123 pounds, with all the muscle definition of a chalk outline. I couldn't complete a push-up. I could run a hundred yards in approximately the same amount of time it took for me to get a haircut. And i was terrified. My brother, John, was a junior that year, at around six feet and 230. He started at center on offense and middle linebacker on defense, and he had waited seventeen years to get me into an arena where he and his friends could pummel me without my bawling to my parents. And pummel me they did. I couldn't have bawled to my parents anyway; to bawl you must breathe" (Crutcher 50). Another sport he had no achievements in was basketball. He never got any points, rebounds, assists or even fouls during any game of any season. He didn't even get a real jersey. "Three track meets into the 1961 season, I have established myself as the only runner in the league ho can actually make a track meet longer. Each team is allowed two ebtries per event with the exception of the mile run, the event in which all "athletes" who don't qualify for any other event are dumped. I have not received an official time in any of my first three mile runs because by the time i finish the timers have packed up their stopwatches and headed for their cars" (Crutcher 51) Back then they didn't have any girls sports except for one game of softball which they get three practices for. He showed up at a practice when they couldn't figure out what to do because the girl batting didn't want to run. He volunteered to run for her and they agreed cause they figured Chris couldn't run any faster than this girl. Unfortunately when she swung she missed by forever and hit him right in the mouth!

No comments: